Party Walls

Party wall matters are mainly covered under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 was introduced to protect parties either side of a party wall where a building owner intends to carry out work which could affect the structure of the party wall. The most common type of party wall is the wall between terraced or semi-detached properties.

If you are intending to carry out building works that might affect a party wall, such as installing a steel beam or removing a chimney breast, then the Act will probably affect you and you will need to serve the appropriate notices on your next door neighbour.  You may also have to serve notice on your neighbour if you intend to build up to, or close to the line of junction between your respective properties, or if you intend to excavate for foundations to a lower level than your neighbour’s.

If you intend to carry out work of this nature it is crucial that you notify your neighbours in the correct way.  Notices served incorrectly, often by householders, can lead to the works being delayed.  Contact us for more information about how we can assist.

If you have recently received notification from your neighbours that they intend to carry out building work which involves the Party Wall Act, you will want assurance that the works will not adversely affect the structure of your building.  From the date the notices are served, you only have 14 days to consider the proposed works and reply to your neighbours.  If you have concerns, you can appoint your own surveyor if you wish.  Under the Act, professional fees in relation to appointing your own surveyor are normally paid by the person who served the notice and carrying out the building work.

If you have recently received a notice from your neighbours under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, contact us for more information about how we can assist.